Friday 30 September 2011

In a Spin?

After my first attempt at using a drop-whorl spindle to make my own yarn, I decided that I wanted to learn to spin on a wheel, so I bought one.  This is my spinning wheel, it is a space saving Double Treadle Ashford Joy.






I support The Campaign For Wool and during National Wool Week I was lucky enough to receive a sample pack of fibres from The British Wool Marketing Board.  I spun two of the samples individually, the first time I have ever used a spinning wheel and then plied them together, again a first for me.  Here is the 100% pure wool yarn that I made.  It is 35 grams and has 45 metres.


 ...and the close up
Not bad for a first attempt!

I made a pair of crochet baby converse with the handspun wool and some aran weight white acrylic yarn.  I added some non-slip liquid to the soles.




No comments:

Post a Comment