Wednesday 24 June 2015

Hillcrescent Farm Jacob Fleece No.4, Part II

Further to my post back in January about Jacob Fleece No.4 from Hillcrescent Farm, this time I have been working on making yarn from the mixed colours part of the fleece.

I decided to have a go at dying this fleece, knowing that colour would be taken up by the white or lighter parts of the fleece but not sure what would happen with the darker fleece.  I chose to combine two different dyes together to make up the amount of dye needed for the amount of fleece and see what would happen.  I chose Olive Green and Golden Yellow.


Hmmm, interesting!


I combed 212g of my dyed fleece, blending the colours together and was left with just 89g of combed top for spinning.  I had some similar coloured Kid Mohair that I bought from My Heart Exposed Yarns back in 2012.


I split the Mohair proportionately to the Jacob and drafted them side by side, and then spun from both simultaneously holding the two lengths at the same time.  I made a yarn that is 160g/556m.


I didn't really like the colour of the finished yarn so I over-dyed it.  I ended up over-dyeing it twice in the same colour because the first time it was a little patchy and I had left the ties too tight and the dye didn't take in these parts, a bit like tie dying.

This time I used Greener Shades Dye at 1% made up of 75% River Blue and 25% Amazon Green and I love the colour that it has turned out.

First, it came out patchy but looks lighter than it actually was in these photos as I used the flash on my camera.


Then I done it again and took some glamour shots.


I will blog about the black from this fleece at a later date, once I have combed and spun it.

No comments:

Post a Comment