Monday 5 February 2018

Alphabet Wall Hanging

I designed and stitched this massive wall hanging mostly when I was pregnant with my first child back in 2003 and finished it shortly after she was born.  I didn't design them in alphabetical order, the order was decided by me being able to find suitable image of a Disney character that matched the letter and some are very basic, whilst others are a lot better, and that shows how my experience of designing progressed from start to finish.  Its not for sale, neither are the designs as I destroyed them after I made it, it will become a family heirloom.

Stitched 1 over 1 on Afghan cloth, which is normally stitched 2 over 2, for extra fineness of details this was a massive undertaking and way back then I didn't have any Cross Stitch software to help me so it was all designed the old fashioned way with graph paper.  I removed the vertical stitching from the centre panel, tying it off and securing at the back, to make it 2 squares wide by 1 square high as I knew I wanted to stitch the words of "When You Wish Upon A Star" and add the Blue Fairy in the middle panel.

Why "When You Wish Upon A Star"?  Its inspirational and one of my favourites as a child and I still have a wind-up musical jewellery box from my childhood that has Mickey Mouse, not a ballerina, that twirls round inside to that song.







No comments:

Post a Comment