Monday 9 December 2019

Making a thicker yarn from a thin one

Many years ago I bought a big box of yarns on cones.  All sorts of colours and thicknesses, most of which have been used but I still have the fine yarns still on cones waiting to be used.  They're just sitting there, taking up space, it would take forever to use just one cone so what do you do?  You take one of them that you have two cones of and take an end from each cone and ply them together and fill two bobbins.  Then you ply those two together the other way to effectively create a yarn that is now four times thicker than it was originally.  I done this for the entire two cones, each of this size.


I made 7 skeins, each of about 145g-150g each, all of them are now sport weight.  5 of the skeins are Z-twist and 2 of them are S-twist.  They should have all been the same but I messed up and plied two of the bobbins the wrong way, meaning that the finished skein is plied in the opposite direction to the other 5 skeins.  It does mean that I will have to use the two different plies in different projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment