Friday 6 August 2021

Quick comparison of the Downs Breeds

Now that I have finished working on the Downs family of sheep for the British Breeds Project I noted that a lot of the sheep in that family look the same or so similar that it is easy to confuse one breed for another.

I know that some are different sizes and each have become adapted/been bred for the specific landscape/climate/weather conditions of the area in which they were developed. 

I'm going to go into an depth written comparison here as I have already written up what information I could find on each of the breeds but a visual side by side comparison of their overall visual appearance (but not their size in relation to one another) is a good start.  The Southdown and the Suffolk definitely stand out from the other four, of which the Oxford appears to be the only one with 4 woolly legs.


No comments:

Post a Comment