Sunday 8 October 2023

Combing the Suri Alpaca

I recently dyed some Suri Alpaca in 4 different colours.  I got 200g of fleece back in 2015 from a lady in Gloucestershire who keeps Alpacas and this came from a Suri Alpaca called Butterscotch.  I washed it on arrival and was left with 162g of fleece to prepare for spinning.


I did nothing with this alpaca fleece until recently, when I decided to split it into 4 amounts and dye each amount a different colour.  

Over the past couple of days I have combed this Suri Alpaca so that it is ready to use when I need it.  Each lot started out at 42-44g and it took me 90 minutes to comb each lot and each time I was left with just 15g of lovely hand combed top, except for the orange-brown one where I was left with 12g.  It's not a lot but at least I did get something from this fairly old fleece that I had somehow overlooked for so long.


No comments:

Post a Comment