Monday 15 October 2018

Living in a Bubble - Design F213

Every now and again I see people selling off yarn and I try my best to resist as I have so much already but on the rare occasion I give in, I can't help it, it calls to me.  So I've recently bought an amount of yarn that is designated as "sock yarn".  It is perfect for making socks as it contains an amount of nylon to make it more hard wearing but the beauty of it is is that you don't have to make socks with it, you can make other things with it.  I thought I would make some smallish shawls, the kind that you can wear as a scarf, a large neckerchief kind of thing.

I have made this design before way back in 2013.

The yarn is Superwash Sock 80/20 by Spun Right Round and is 80% Merino Wool, 20% Nylon.


Its a top down shawl, so the beaded edge is worked last.  I was thinking about using some dark blue beads but in the end I settled on some Toho size 6 beads in shade 507 Higher Metallic Iris Green, which aren't actually green but more of a rainbow bead with an overall green tone.  They are difficult to describe but as you can see from the photos, the multi-colours of the beads really work with the multi-colours in the yarn, which isn't as blue as it looks in some of the photos that were taken with my phone.


The photos below are more true to colour, these were taken with my actual camera, not with my phone, which tends to distort the colours somewhat.  I've decided that if I make any more of these, which I am bound to do, then I will add an extra bead to the centre point as it only calls for 4 in the pattern and I think it would look better if it had 5 so that it is closer in looks to those either side of it.

My eldest daughter agreed to model the shawl for me, she's just turned 15 and becoming a young woman and is the same height as me now.


As ever, you will find this in my Etsy store until someone buys it and then it will be gone as it is one-of-a-kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment