Thursday 10 January 2019

12 Days of Christmas 2018 Part 2

Back in November I wrote a post about the 12 Days of Christmas "advent calendar" of fibre that I bought myself.  Well, obviously we are well into the New Year now and I have opened all of the little parcels inside.  I was a good girl and only opened one packet per day.  I didn't peep, even though it was really tempting to do that.

I have added the days and the names of the colours to the photos below but they might be quite small to read.  The Tussah Silk are in order from the top right going downwards and then turning left along the bottom, 20g each of Sunrise, Fir, Milk, Storm, Twilight, Wood, Cloud, Tuareg, Fog, Thyme, Paradise.


The spinning tips for the main braid is to spin it over the fold as the Yak fibres will be shorter than the others and that it likely to be comfortably spun somewhere between fingering and double knit weight.  Some people have blended the silk with the main braid and then spun and plied that, others have blended the silk with other fibre they have and used some or all of it to ply with the main braid, some have spun them all up separately and will use all 12 yarns in some kind of stripey or patterned item.  I like the idea of keeping them separate but I've never spun pure silk and it frightens me a bit but apparently that is also easier to spin if you spin it over the fold.  I've never spun over the fold but all that means is that instead of spinning it from the end of the braid in one continual length you pull pieces of and fold it over your finger and let the fibres go into the yarn from there.


I also took a photo of the free coaster that we got in the pack, which is really pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment