Friday 22 May 2020

Wonkey Donkey?

So, with being in National Lockdown due to Covid-19 I have everyone at home and can't concentrate on knitting or crocheting lovely lace shawls but I need to do something.  I hit on the idea of using up some of the scraps and left overs and knitting some donkeys for the Donkey Sanctuary, one of the many charities that I support, as they sell them to raise funds for the care of the Donkey's and these charities need our support even more at the moment as they are unable to have visitors and so their income has all but ceased.

They supply a pattern for both knitted and crocheted donkeys so that they are all made to a standard pattern but leave the colours up to the crafter so that each donkey will have its own personality.

I've had the pattern for some time but never got around to making it so I set off working on it and I have to say that, despite making many toys in the past in my teenage years  (all of them were Jean Greenhowe), this was the most horrendous pattern I have ever encountered.  My plan was to make several of these donkeys but I have to say that I stopped at one and sent it off to them.  I have since ripped the pattern up and binned it to make sure that I never get that idea again.  Maybe in the future I may try the crochet version but never the knitted version!

To me this does not look so much like a donkey as donkey-in-stein.  Even the feet were knitted separately on this one.  Why????  There really is no need to knit the feet separately, they could have been done in one piece instead of 3 pieces!

Anyway, I hope that somewhere there is someone who has fell in love with this ugly donkey at whichever Donkey Sanctuary it ended up at, bought it and is giving it lots of cuddles.



No comments:

Post a Comment