Tuesday 1 December 2020

I have a crazy idea

I've had an idea for a little while now and have been buying breed sample fibre boxes when I see them come up for sale at various fibre suppliers, spreading the cost out over this past year.  I haven't got many different breeds yet but its a start.

I want to make some kind of large sampler type blanket/throw type of thing using as many different sheep breeds that I can get my hands on and each knitted piece will feature that breeds name on it somehow and all done in the sheep's natural colours, I won't be using any dyed wool in this whatsoever.  I have a mix of British and Foreign breeds at the moment but given the number of breeds available, there are 57 different British breeds alone, I think it would be wise to make two blanket/throws, one for British and one for other breeds, otherwise this thing will be huge and too big to handle.  

I need to do a bit of sample knitting to find the right alphabet that will come out in the knitting but I'm hoping that won't take too long to sort and then I can get on with it.  It will be an epic project but I don't need to do it all at once, I can fit it in between other projects.

As part of this British Sheep Breeds sampler that I want to make I will take the opportunity to write a blog post about each breed as I spin the yarn.  Some breeds I will prepare from fleece and other breeds will be bought in already prepared as either roving or top, depending on what is available as a fair amount of the breeds are rare and also the fact that I couldn't cope with having full fleeces of so many breeds, the odd one or two maybe, if I have to go that route, but I really only need enough to make each knitted piece.

Due to the fact that I no longer purchase from a particular fibre supplier I will not be buying a fibre advent calendar like I have in the previous 2 years.  I've not sourced an alternative so I will use the money saved on that to start purchasing what I need for this breeds project.


No comments:

Post a Comment