Saturday 28 November 2020

The Big Experiment - finally finished!

So I have finally gotten around to dying the skeins that I wanted to dye using blue dye.  I got out my favourite Greener Shades dyes to discover that I hadn't got enough of the River Blue by itself so I added a bit of Coral Reef Aqua into the mix too to make up the dye powder weight needed to dye this at 0.5% dye rate, which is using 50% of the dye you would use to get the standard colour strength for the dye.  I wanted it to be slightly lighter so that the colours of the merino might stand out a bit more rather than potentially be obliterated by the dye.

The colourful Merino have not reacted with the blue dye like I expect it to but its still made an interesting yarn.

The oddments blend has taken the dye well and looks quite similar to the other 3 skeins, its just that the fibre content is very different.


The mini skein of just Jacob wool has produced an interesting variegated yarn too.


No comments:

Post a Comment