Saturday 4 December 2021

Spinning the Suri Alpaca and merino gradient

Over 9 months have passed since I made the Suri Alpaca and Merino blended gradient and it has been sat on the cardboard tube ever since.  There is over 230g of fibre in the gradient, so I have been worried that each half won't fit on one bobbin, and so how will I handle spinning the last bit as I don't have enough bobbins and right now I really don't have the money nor the storage space to get additional bobbins.  I have four, once for each single, one to ply onto and one spare or just in case I may want to make a 3-ply yarn at any time.

I eventually decided to just get on with it, stop procrastinating and just do it.  Amazingly I discovered that I was able to get the 115-120g of fibre on each bobbin after all.  I think its to do with the density because this is more like human hair to some extent, its smooth and lies flat and takes up less space than the same weight of fibre of a "bouncier" breed like Jacob, Shropshire, Hampshire Down.


Just look at the last photo on the far right.  Wow!  Now that is a beautiful gradient and well worth the hard work that it has taken in combing, planning, weighing and blending and then finally spinning it.  There is one Russian join in the skein purely because each single filled a bobbin so when you ply them together two full bobbins won't fit back onto one bobbin, it fits onto two.  This is a whopping 232g of 50% Suri Alpaca, 50% Merino sport weight yarn, one very long gradient that measures 480m.  All I need to do now is find the right shawl, I'm thinking of a large half circle, or 3/4 circle, lacey design, knitted top down, starting with the lightest colour and ending with the darkest colour along the bottom of the shawl.  It will look spectacular and having fewer stitches at the top will mean that small amount of really light colour yarn will look bigger and in better proportion against the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment