Tuesday 21 March 2023

Spinning the Blue-green-white braid of Merino

Back in November 2018 I bought myself a trio pack of 14.5 micron Merino fibre.  I have finally now started to spin this pack of fibre.


I am starting with the fibre braid on the left hand side.

I split the fibre in half down the entire length, see the middle photo, and pre-drafted it into my specially adapted basket.  I done the same thing for the second half, spinning from the same end for both singles.  Because of how it was dyed the colours didn't match up all that often, if you look closely at the fibre braid you can see that there are "splodges" of colour that don't go all the way through the thickness of the braid.



The photo above just shows the spun singles at different times during the spinning process and is not necessarily a photo of each single, I can't actually remember if the photos were taken of the same bobbin or if they are photos of each of the bobbins.



The finished yarn is really really soft and squishy.  It's not my best spinning as I've not spun anything in the last 8 months or so and therefore I am a little out of practice.  There is about 470m in this 105g skein and its measuring at about a Light Fingering weight yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment