Friday 5 May 2017

Shetland/Teeswater Shawl - Design F29

Staying with my plan to recreate shawls that I have made in the past and priced incorrectly my next shawl is the same design as another that I had a few problems making years ago.  This time I am not making it with mohair but with some of my own hand spun Shetland/Teeswater wool.

My first attempt at making this shawl was way back in 2010 and you can read about that here.

The yarn is some that I spun a couple of years ago in 2015 and you can read all about the fleece, where it came from and how I spun the yarn here.

I know that I want to bead this shawl and there are a few different ways to place the beads on this design, each giving a different look to the finished shawl.  The last time I made this shawl I only beaded the edging as I felt that the yarn was pretty enough and didn't need beads elsewhere.  This time I decided to place beads along the stems of each leaf as well as on the edging of the shawl.  I did get a little stuck on deciding on the colour of the beads though.  Decisions... decisions...  no, can't decide so placed an order for more beads in the two colours that look great with this yarn.  Toho beads, of course, they're the best for knitting in my opinion, ordered some silver lined crystal and some gold lined rainbow crystal as I don't have enough of either to complete this design and I have a lot of this yarn so will no doubt be needing more in the future anyway.


For this particular shawl I have decided to go with the size 6 gold lined rainbow crystal beads (shade 994) as these look very much like "rose gold", which is a very popular colour with brides right now.


With 7 beads per stem and 72 leaves in the design that is 504 beads and I think it looks fabulous depicting the stem like this.  When it came to the edging I decided to bead that in the same way as I did the previous version and that used 25 beads per section.  There were 17 sections so that's another 425 beads bringing my bead total to 929.  I really loved making this shawl and will probably be making another one at some time in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment