Monday 16 July 2018

Dyeing the Llanwenog fleece

Further to my post a few days ago about buying and washing the Llanwenog fleece.  After it was washed and dried it weighed 1332g, down from the 1714g dirty fleece weight.  I've decided to split this into 4 parts. 

When I talk about dye depth percentages, this is the weight relationship between dry fleece and dye powder so a 1% dye depth, the standard colour depth, is 1g of dye for every 100g of dry fleece.  To achieve a dark shade you use more dye, such as a 2% dye depth and to get a lighter shade you use less dye.

I was using Greener Shades Dyes, which are my favourite dyes that I have used so far. 

I took 400g of fleece, which was the blue stained part of the fleece plus some of the white fleece, and dyed this blue using Coral Reef Aqua at a dye depth of 0.5% to achieve a lighter shade than normal but still dark enough to cover up the staining. 

The rust colour I made up at a dye depth of 0.5% using three different colours of dye: 50% Flame Red, 25% Amethyst Purple, 25% Sunset Orange.  I used 400g of white fleece on that.

The pale green was achieved using a dye depth of just 0.2%, made up of two colours of dye: 75% River Blue, 25% Sunshine Yellow and this was on 270g of white fleece.

The remaining 262g of white fleece has been left undyed.


I definitely love the blue and the green.  The rust colour was a bit of a surprise as I had to substitute one of the dyes that I should have used, as called for in the "recipe book" for another slightly different colour as I had run out of one of the colours so I wasn't sure what it was going to turn out like.


No comments:

Post a Comment