Tuesday 11 February 2020

Playing with the blending hackle again

Back in September I dyed some Jacob fleece using Logwood and the result was a mix of dark blue and dark grey.  I've combed that wool over the past couple of days and ended up with blue fingers and a lot of mess.  I discovered that an amount of it had felted or partially felted in the dye pot and so some of it was unusable but I still managed to get 111g of combed fibre out of the 247g.  It was a mixture of dark blue and dark grey, and me being me, I totally forgot to take photos of the combed fibre before I put it through the blending hackle today.  I did think about leaving as it was and spinning a plain-ish yarn but it really needed something, at the very least the grey and blue needed blending together again to even it out.

Using a colour grid tool that I have to help identify what colours work together I had a rummage through my "ingredients box" and picked out a number of small bumps of fibre that I felt would work with my Jacob and its mostly Corriedale and Merino fibres, I have no idea what the fibre is in the top middle.


Whilst I was loading up the blending hackle I had a couple of moments of doubt about my colour selections but once I dizzed it off the hackle and looked at it my doubts disappeared and I came up with a great name for it, Slate & Chalk, given that its a kind of slate grey, I used chalk in the dye-pot and the other colours look a like chalk on a blackboard .


No comments:

Post a Comment