Monday 24 February 2020

Spinning up Peak District

This is one of last years monthly fibres, Peak District, that I have on subscription.  I have 100g a month of a surprise fibre, which pushes the boundaries on what fibres blends I spin and also the colours that I spin.  If I only ever spun my favourite colours then I would only ever spin greens, turquoise/aqua/teal blues and purples.

With this one, the opportunity arose to buy some additional fibre and so I bought an extra 300g making the amount of this I have up 400g.  This is a textured fibre braid and coupled with the fibre content the advice is to spin this one from the fold to trap more air in and make it a bouncier and softer than if you were to spin it worsted, which is my usual spin method, and that it would be lovely as a thicker yarn, around about aran weight.  I've been spinning 10 years and never spun from the fold but I've been reading up a bit lately and watching some short  instructional videos to try to increase my repertoire of spinning skills as its easy to fall into a rut.  So the result is a thicker than usual yarn with bounce, and that is why I made sure to get extra of this fibre as 100g of thick yarn won't go very far, a hat if you're lucky.

This was measuring up at aran weight before I gave it a bath and then it plumped up to Super Bulky/Chunky weight and I've already picked something out that I will knit with this.  It totals 385g/320m, I managed to lose 15g somewhere, no idea!




No comments:

Post a Comment