Friday 7 January 2022

Combing and spinning the white Jacob fleece

I don't need to blog about this breed because I have already done that when I wrote about the Black Jacob back in December 2020

I decided to use white Jacob to join all of the individually knit project pieces together.  I also have a decent amount of Jacob fleece in my stash and therefore at my disposal.

I decided to use the white parts from two different Jacob Fleece that were from the same flock of sheep and that I acquired way back in 2014 from a farmer friend of an ex-colleague and friend.  These were from Fleece No.2 and Fleece No.16, the same as I used for the grey centre piece of the project.


From Fleece No.2 there was 700g of washed fleece and this gave me 446g of fluff after combing.  From Fleece No.16 there was 460g of washed fleece and this gave me 285g after combing.  Each lot was in a different clear bag and I noticed that there was a very noticeable difference in the shade of white/cream between the two.  Well they are from different sheep and no two are exactly the same. Imagine it just like with humans, how many shades of natural blonde hair are there? Quite a lot! I split the contents of each bag into 7 equal weights and put one lot from each bag together on my blending hackle to even out the shade across all of the skeins that I will be making.

I didn't take any photos of the hand combed nests, whoops! I did take photos of the fleece before it was washed a few years ago though and I have those to show comparison between the two.

I did spin it all up into 7 skeins that weigh between 92g and 98g each and are sport weight.




My finished yarn is of medium quality to the touch of the hand and is so much nicer than the black Jacob sample.  In total there is 658g/1433m of sport weight yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment