Wednesday 28 June 2023

Combing the Castlemilk Moorit x Norfolk Horn fleece

8 years ago I bought a 350g bag of raw Castlemilk Moorit x Norfolk Horn fleece.  After a sort and a wash I was left with 248g of clean fleece to prepare.  With one thing and another, being busy with all kinds of other stuff, this bag has been overlooked.  Until now.  One of the fibres on the shopping list for the upcoming TdF was "Faroe Island" and it transpires that this suggestion was for a challenge that will involve a natural dark fibre.  I have this bag of natural dark fleece that is just waiting to become natural dark fibre. 


It is really difficult to describe the colour, kind of dark grey brown but the brown does seem to be more focused on the tips so maybe it is just a bit of sunbleaching?  Castlemilk Moorit sheep are kind of tan through to dark brown so I am expecting some kind of brown in there anyway.


After combing I was left with 163g of hand-combed nests in a whole range of shades so what I decided to do was to combine them on my blending hackle to even out the colours more and this resulted in just a 10g loss, leaving me with 153g of lovely brown-grey top to spin.

I'm ready for the TdF now.

No comments:

Post a Comment