Tuesday 12 September 2023

Combing the rest of the Llandovery Whiteface Hill sheep fleece

This past year or so I've been working on spinning up older braids of fibre and preparing fleece that I have had for the longest time along with either dyeing fibres for my "ingredients cupboard" or using up items from my "ingredients cupboard" in blends.  This particular fleece isn't old, I'd only had it just over a year but I had two pillowcases full of this fleece and there was a lot of kemp that was sticking out through the fabric of the pillowcase so it was making a bit of a mess as well as taking up a lot of space.  I decided to comb this fleece to save on space.  I did actually finish combing the first pillowcase full back in early December 2022 and this contained 583g of fleece and after 19 hours of combing, not in one session, I had 218g of nice soft fluff.  

The second pillowcase full weighs 1,105g and has been sat across the room looking at me menacingly ever since.  I finally started to tackle this monster job on Friday 8th September 2023 and I have worked at it all over the weekend and have now finally finished combing it, 5 days beginning on the 8th and finishing today, on the 12th September.  It took just about 25 and a half hours to comb my way through it and I got 400g of fluff.  So, this almost whole fleece that was left over from the Breeds Project started out at 1,688g and I have got 618g of soft fluff ready for spinning or dyeing and spinning and it has taken me 44 hours and 20 minutes of work to get to that.  Overall though, including that what I used for the project, I got a total of 712g of fluff from 1,916g of kempy fleece and that is a yield of 37.16%.

I didn't take any additional photos, other than what I took last year when I spun some up for the British Breeds Project.



I have plans to dye the fluff, now that the kemp has been removed, and use some of the things in my "ingredients cupboard" to make blends for spinning.  I haven't decided what colours yet, I need to see what I have in the cupboard and dye the wool to match or co-ordinate with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment