Thursday 7 September 2023

Somerset Apple Cake Recipe

I can't remember where I got this recipe from but it's in my handwriting on a piece of A4 paper, no doubt scribbled down from the Internet somewhere.  I like this recipe and I've made a number of these over the past couple of years.  I've made another two cakes today.  This is them before they went in the oven.  The one on the right has sultanas in it and the one on the left doesn't because my youngest likes my apple cake but doesn't like sultanas.  I made the mixture up without the sultanas and put half of it in a tin then added half of the amount of sultanas to the remaining mixture and put that in the other tin.


This recipe can be used to make one 8 inch round cake or two oblong cakes using a 1lb loaf tins

Ingredients:

340g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
225g margarine or butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
170g caster sugar
115g sultanas
450g cooking apples, finely chopped (weight is after being peeled and cored)
3 eggs
a little milk (optional)
a little demerara Sugar

  • Rub margarine/butter into the flour and salt
  • Add caster sugar and cinnamon
  • Make a well in the mixture and drop in the eggs and fruit
  • Mix well. If the dough is too stiff add a little milk
  • Place mixture into an 8 inch greased cake tin or in two 1lb loaf tins and sprinkle a little demerara sugar over the top
  • Back for one and half hour to two hours at Gas Mark 4/180℃/350℉ until cooked (a cocktail stick inserted should come out clean). 
  • Allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a cooling rack

Enjoy a slice of cake with a nice cup of tea.

I haven't taken a photo of today's baking but here is a photo from last September when I made the recipe twice, once for a round cake and once for two loaf type cakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment