Thursday 6 September 2018

I've bought myself a Blending Hackle

I have finally been able to afford to get myself a Blending Hackle.  After much research into which piece of equipment suited my needs best, a Blending Hackle or a Drum Carder, it seems that the Blending Hackle is the best way to go and I then researched those and settled with one from Wingham Woolworks, not cheap at all but about half the price one from Valkyrie if I had ordered one and paid the shipping and import taxes to have it imported from the USA.  It is a few hundred pounds cheaper than a drum carder too, but the drum carder makes the wrong kind of fibre preparation for my favoured style of spinning so that was out straight away.

It doesn't come with clamps, I had to get those separately once it had arrived so that I knew how big I needed them to be and I got one for each end.  The hackle has a working area of 16" long with two rows of approx 60 tines with the back row being 5 3/4" tall and the front row being 5 1/4" tall.


It is a lethal looking piece of equipment and can be very dangerous, it's really heavy and you would not want to drop this or fall over whilst carrying this.

You might be thinking, hmmm yes, OK, but what on earth is this thing for?  Take a little look at this video from the brilliant Woolwench, who has been inspiring me for years.  I will be doing something similar myself.




I did have a little play with it and added some sparkles in with the Llanwenog Fleece that I combed about a month ago and I am happy with this now.  It just needed something and I've found what that was!


No comments:

Post a Comment