Saturday 4 August 2018

Combing the pale green Llanwenog fleece

I thought I'd make a start on preparing the dyed Llanwenog fleece for spinning, starting with the pale green because that is my favourite colour.

I've never used this breed of sheep fleece before so didn't really know what to expect and I didn't take any work-in-progress photos.  Normally I just leave the finished fibre in little round nests for spinning but I thought I would have a go at making a really rudimentary fibre braid by lining up the unwound nests side by side, overlapping each other a bit and then plaiting them together into a braid.  Its kind of worked, messy but it will hold for now.


I'd like to add something to it, not sure what, maybe some sparkles, but I can't do that on my combs, I need to wait until I get myself a blending hackle or drum carder, which ever I decide to get.  Its not bad though, fairly soft, definitely bouncy and my 270g is now only 140g but I do only keep the best of the fibres to produce the nicest of yarns possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment