Wednesday 6 December 2023

Advent Calendar 2023 Day 6

The Tradition

Day 6 is called Pōhutukawa and the tradition comes from New Zealand.  It is a flowering tree called the New Zealand Christmas Tree or Iron Tree that flowers November to January with vibrant red flowers.  The oldest tree is thought to be around 600 years old and they are sacred in Māori culture and mythology.  It is a coastal evergreen tree belonging to the Myrtle family that grow up to about 82ft tall.



The Fibre


The actual fibre content is 60% New Zealand (brown), 20% Sari Silk (Rosette), 20% Corriedale (Grass).  Because this is a New Zealand tradition we have New Zealand fibre in it.  This is a natural brown shade of New Zealand and its got green Corriedale in it, which also comes from New Zealand and its got red Sari Silk in to represent the flowers. You've got a little bit of everything in this blend, brown for the bark, green for the leaves and red for the flowers. This is actually quite a soft blend because the fibres in it are bulky and squishy and you would be able use these in any chosen craft.  This will be an interesting fibre to spin with.  The Sari Silk has got different staple lengths in it which means you don't always get an even draft on it so you would end up with some of it slightly thicker and some of it slightly thinner which would be a lovely textured yarn and it would also be good for an art yarn.  Because this a recycled Sari Silk you get pops of other colours in it so we've got a little bit of pink in here are well as a tiny little bit of green too and it will be a fun blend to work with.

My Thoughts

Upon open the packet I immediately thought of one of the fibres from last years advent calendar, which this reminds me of.  I am thinking that it might work well with last year's Day 3 "Wreath".  The colours are not my favourite blend but I'm ok with that.  

I am also writing up these blog posts some time after the date and the first photos are what I took on the day of opening using my mobile phone and the early December natural light, which isn't always the best, and the next photos have been taken some time after using my proper camera and my little lit pop up studio and the colours are more true to life. 


The information that has been printed on the bags is not always correct and there are no fibre content percentages, these have been provided on the chat boards.  The percentages that they gave on the chat boards seem to be correct, YAY!

What I have done with my bags is to write the actual fibre content on the bag using a gold gel pen in the gap immediately below the printed details, pretty much the only thing that will show up on black are the metallic gel pens.  This is why I have not taken "new" photos of the bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment