Friday 8 December 2023

Advent Calendar 2023 Day 8

The Tradition

Day 8 is called La Ribote and the tradition comes from Martinique in the Caribbean.  Music and singing features a lot in the Christmas celebrations on the Island and a Ribote is the term used for the tradition of a large group of people that go from house to house singing hymns and carols on the evening and sometimes they will call in on people who are working such as Fire Stations, Hospitals etc and then after all of the singing they are usually invited to share in food and drinks.

The Fibre


The actual fibre content is 50% Bamboo (Amelia & Naomi), 40% Gotland (grey & white), 10% Mulberry Silk (Buenos Aires). Martinique is a beautiful island and this is an absolutely beautiful blend to go with it.  Just because it's winter doesn't mean the colours are going to be any different.  We have got bamboo, Gotland and Mulberry Silk.  Bamboo and Mulberry Silk are really soft fibres so the Gotland is in here to hold it all together and this Gotland also adds a bit of sheen because Gotland is a lustre wool.  If you look really closely at this blend you can see there are lots of different shades in it.  We've taken all the blues from the Mulberry Silk ranges and the Bamboo ranges and blended them with Gotland to get this lovely shiny fibre.  In terms of spinning if you were to spin this quite fine or make a four ply with it you find it has very good drape when its knitted or crocheted.  

My Thoughts

I love this one.  I love most things blue and I do like a bit of Gotland and I never say no to blends with Mulberry Silk in them.  I did have a lot of trouble trying to capture the colours in the original photo with my mobile phone, it just would not show all of the lovely tones.  I would say that it will be spun as it is, there is no way these colours can be separated out at all, it's too well blended for that.

This one is so different to how the camera on my phone captured the colours and at the time I couldn't get it to show all the variation of blues and greys that are in this blend but my proper Canon camera has.


The information that has been printed on the bags is not always correct and there are no fibre content percentages, these have been provided on the chat boards.  The percentages that they gave on the chat boards seem to be correct for this one, Hurrah!

What I have done with my bags is to write the actual fibre content on the bag using a gold gel pen in the gap immediately below the printed details, pretty much the only thing that will show up on black are the metallic gel pens.  This is why I have not taken "new" photos of the bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment