Saturday 1 July 2023

Tour de France/Tour de Fleece 2023 Stage 1

The Cycling: Stage 1 is 182km of a hilly route that starts and ends in Bilbao, in Basque Country, Northern Spain.

The Daily Challenge: Spin something bold and beautiful.  It can be a particularly vibrant fibre or you can jump straight in with an art yarn with all the bells and whistles!

Suggested Fibre: Pina Colada by Matt

What I did

I didn't watch the cycling today and I'm not sure when I will be able to or even if I will watch the cycling.  I don't seem to be able to get interested in it but I will be tackling the spinning challenges when I can.  I'm certainly not going to blog about the route and sites of interest along the route like I did last year, it was just too much work and I don't think there were any readers other than myself and maybe 1 other person.

I am going to tackle a bold coloured braid of fibre that has been sat in my stash since the 2021 Fibre Advent Calendar.  It is 100% Merino wool and called Ice & Fire.


I have recently been reading and learning about a new-to-me technique called "Fibonacci Spun".  This technique requires a braid of fibre that has long strips of different coloured fibre running the entire length of the braid, like this one does.  It is also best if you spin one long single and chain (Navajo) ply it to keep the colours together.

You have to undo the plaited braid into one long length and then split the braid into lengths that represent the Fibonacci Sequence of 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 etc etc.  Most people miss out the first 1 when they are spinning in this method and I am doing the same.  My lengths are going to be multiples of 7 inches.  So, my first one is 7 inches, second one is 14 inches, third one is 21 inches, fourth one is 35 inches and the last one is roughly 56 inches in length.

Starting with the shortest length of braid, 7 inches, you then split the colours as best as you can into however many colours you can or you want but you don't have do it perfectly.  I split it into 4 colours, dark red, dark blue, orange and pale blue.  Choose which order you want to spin them and then spin each colour bundle in turn.  Work through each length of braid in the same way from shortest to longest and spin the colours in the same sequence each time so by the time you reach the longest part of the braid and split the colours out, each colour bundle will be pretty big.


The resulting spun single will have progressively longer and longer lengths of individual colours and you spin your way through the braid.  To keep the colours together you will need to chain ply (Navajo ply) the yarn on itself.  I can't finish this yarn today, I will have to ply it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment