Thursday 15 July 2021

Tour de France/Tour de Fleece 2021 Stage 18

The Cycling: Stage 18 is 129.7km long and starts in Pau and ends in Luz Ardiden.  The route is mountainous and includes two category 4 climbs.  Tadej Pogačar won the stage.  

Team Challenge: "It is the last mountainous stage today, and we'll see who gets crowned King of the Mountain!  

The challenge for today is to spin something red and white - getting the polka dots in there could be a bit tricky, though!  If you're feeling a bit arty, now would be a good time to try a white yarn with some red beads...".

What I planned to do and what I achieved:  Motoring on through spinning for my British Breeds project I've picked up the Hill Radnor today.  100g bump of pre-prepared fibre and I got a sport weight yarn 172m long, adding another 516m to the team total.


I noticed that the finished yarn was considerably darker than many of the other natural white's that I have spun and I just so happened to have the skein of Whitefaced Woodland, that I spun the other day, to hand to do a comparison.   

Washed Whitefaced Woodland on the left, unwashed Hill Radnor on the right.

There is another little speed bump in the road with my British Breeds project, having learned in the last 48 hours that is no such thing as a grey Suffolk sheep and that fibre sold as Grey Suffolk is actually nothing like that of the fibre off a Suffolk sheep, which only come in a creamy white, and I've had that confirmed by the Suffolk Breed Society, no such thing as a grey Suffolk.  I am confused as to why this is all that is available from suppliers.  This fact is also mentioned in the Fleece and Fibre Sourcebook and yet I can't find white Suffolk as a pre-prepared fibre anywhere, it's all grey.

I'm waiting on 300g of fleece direct from a farmer so at least I know that its white Suffolk.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment