Saturday 3 July 2021

Tour de France/Tour de Fleece 2021 Stage 8

The Cycling: Stage 8 is 150.8km and starts in Oyonnax and ends in Le Grand-Bornand. There are 5 classified climbs today. This is part of the Alps sections of the race.  Dylan Teuns won the stage.  

Team Challenge: "Oyonnax is where we start today; a town that once had the monopoly on producing boxwood combs.  In fact, this is such a big part of the town's history that they have a museum with over 16,000 items from old wooden combs to more modern plastic and bio-plastic versions.

When preparing fibre we either card it to make batts and slivers or comb it to make tops.  (See that seamless link?  We've had our hobnobs today!)

Today's challenge is to spin from a different preparation that you normally do.  Rolags, batts, slivers, rovings, tops - there are lots of options!".

What I planned to do and what I achieved: I'm not doing the challenge today as I am spinning a 100g bump of Herdwick plus 25g of Herdwick from a British Breeds Sample back, both purchased from World of Wool.  As I've done in the past I split the larger amount into two by holding the two ends together, finding the middle and separating into two equal amounts at that point.  Then with the sample amount, I split that into two the same way but then stretched each out to the same length as the larger bumps and spun both the sample and the larger bump at the same time in each case so that the fibres mixed.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take work-in-progress photos of the spinning but I do have a photo of the larger bump of Herdwick.



No comments:

Post a Comment