Tuesday 6 July 2021

Tour de France/Tour de Fleece 2021 Stage 10

The Cycling: Stage 10 is 190.7km long and starts in Albertville and ends in Valence. A flat route today, through the valleys of the rivers Isère and Rhône.  Mark Cavendish won the stage. 

Team Challenge: "Today the race passes through Chambéry, famous for its Fontaine des Éléphants (Fountain of Elephants) which was built in 1838.  The four elephants are very lifelike, even if you can only see their front ends!.

A non-spinning challenge today: shock: Find out the nickname of this statue and have a listen to L'Elephant by Camille Saint-Saëns as you spin".

What I planned to do and what I achieved:  First up, I Googled the statue. The nickname of the statue is "the four without asses".  It honours General Count de Boigne and stands 17.65m tall, built in limestone and consists of a fountain, a column and a statue.  The fountain represents the Cross of Savoy with four elephants joined by the rump with water flowing through their trunks into a basin.  There is an inscription above each of them.  

A column stands on top of the elephants, symbolised by a palm tree trunk and decorated with Persian, Mughal and Hindu weapons and various objects representing the customs, arts and civilisation of the people that he fought or governed.

The statue is of the General dressed in his costume of Lieutenant-General of the Kingdom or Sardinia.  His hand resting on an oriental sword whilst his other hand holds a document representing donations granted to the city by the Count of Boigne.  The statue is bronze, was cast in Paris, weights 750kg and is 2.82m in height.

 


I also Googled the music and had a listen and all I am going to say is "Hmmm, yes, not my cup of tea", that is about as polite as I can be about that.

So what did I do today in relation to spinning.  Well, I decided to work on the Herdwick that I spun a few days ago and pick out the coarse fibres that didn't get pulled out or fell out whilst spinning and now that I have done that it is much nicer and softer to handle.



No comments:

Post a Comment